A parent/guardian requesting kindergarten acceleration must follow the procedures listed below:
Appeals of the committee’s decision by the parent/guardian shall be through the standard parent/guardian appeals process beginning at Level 2.
Important note: Kindergarten students must meet the age requirement by being 5 on or before September 1.
- Submit a written request* to the campus principal seeking consideration of accelerating his/her child to first grade. The request must be submitted within the first two weeks of school or within 2 weeks of enrollment, but no later than October 1. The child will be initially placed in kindergarten while information is collected by the school to determine if acceleration is appropriate.
- The principal will schedule a conference with the parent/guardian, counselor, the child’s pre-kindergarten teacher (if applicable), a kindergarten teacher, and a first grade teacher to review the kindergarten and first grade curriculum.
- If after review of the curricular expectations of first grade, the parent/guardian still desires to have their child placed initially in first grade, the parent will sign a request for individual testing.
- Within 20 school days, the campus will complete the following:
- Administer formal assessments to the child
- Conduct observations of the student by a first grade teacher and a school counselor
- By the end of the 20 school day period, a campus committee consisting of the student’s pre-kindergarten teacher (if applicable), a kindergarten teacher, a first grade teacher, a counselor, and a campus administrator will review available data and make a placement decision. Options available to the committee include:
- Placement in kindergarten
- Student is accelerated to first grade